Saturday, December 1, 2012

"Do small things with great love." ~ Mother Teresa

My cousin Britani and I during harvest on the farm.
One of the most important decisions people make day to day is what to eat. Making the decision of what food to put into your body comes from many different motivations including cost, taste, nutritional value, availability, convenience, etc. I think it is very important to examine which motivations drive you. For me, food is at its best when it is nutritionally sound, natural and inexpensive.

I was raised in a single parent home in a small town in Kansas of only 5,000 residents. I spent most of my summers on my Grandparents farm just outside of town. As a result, I learned to connect with food at a young age. I was also exposed to how food can communicate to others - you can tell a lot about how much money someone has by their food habits. I have several friends who thought leftovers were disgusting or who would look at you weird if you packed your lunch instead of paying for something in the school cafeteria. Even though convenience and eating out is put on a pedestal in this country, there is something about a home-cooked meal that holds its value and creates nostalgia in many people. Thanksgiving is a great example of this; so many enjoy it because they can't wait to eat that family recipe that's been passed down for generations. I believe that is because food also communicates love. Whether your Grandmother is in the kitchen or you are making something for yourself, food that is prepared with care and thought for those who are going to eat it evokes feelings of comfort, sincerity, happiness and love.

I want to share my love for home-cooked meals from scratch that are both healthy and easy on your budget. Not only did I grow up in an environment that was conducive to eating farm fresh food on a budget but I am also a new addition to the housewife club! I want to share my journey of maintaining a strict food budget while getting creative and learning new things in the process.

With Love,
Jess


No comments:

Post a Comment