Thursday, December 13, 2012

Christmas Cocoa & Cinnamon Rolls

$7.93 / $.79 per serving

 "It's the most wonderful time of the year..."I don't know about you, but I love this time of year. Christmas is my favorite. There are so many reasons why I love the holidays but one of the main reasons is because I love the treats. Yep. I love hot chocolate, spiced nuts, Christmas cookies, and I especially love cinnamon rolls. Today I'm going to share with you my recipe for stovetop (or crockpot) hot chocolate AND my all-time favorite cinnamon roll recipe - both of which are a must-have in my house for Christmas. 

For my favorite cinnamon roll recipe, visit Mel's Kitchen Cafe

These cinnamon rolls are labor intensive and you definitely can't be afraid to get your hands dirty. But let me tell you, they are the BEST! I opt to make them with half of the butter called for in the filling, other than that I follow this recipe to the letter. They are are so good, I only allow myself to make them when we have a large gathering. That way IF there are leftovers, I can only be tempted by a few. 


Nutritional Highlight: Cinnamon & Cacao. Cacao, the raw form of cocoa powder, is known for it's potent antioxidant properties that come from flavonoids. When choosing chocolate for the antioxidant properties, pick a dark chocolate with 70% or more cacao. Cinnamon is another way to get more antioxidants into your body. It also helps to naturally regulate blood sugar and cholesterol levels. 



Christmas Cocoa      (serves 10)

1 1/2 cups Half & Half
1 14oz can Fat Free Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 1/2 cups Dark Chocolate Chips (at least 70% cacao)
6 cups 1% milk
2 tsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Instant Coffee
1 tsp Cinnamon

In a stockpot over medium-low heat, or in a crockpot set to High, mix all ingredients together. Stir occasionally until the chocolate chips are melted. This will take around 10 minutes on the stove or almost an hour in the crockpot. The bonus to putting it in the crockpot is that you don't have to worry about it burning once you get the chocolate melted. You can just turn it to low and enjoy watching Christmas movies!

Nutritional Analysis:

Per Serving: 394 calories, 16.5g fat, 55g carbohydrates, 9.1g protein, and over 15% daily value of Vitamin D, Calcium, Phosphorous and Riboflavin.

No comments:

Post a Comment